Sunday 12 June 2011

Stats

The National suicide rate is 3 per 100,000 People. The Transgender Transsexual suicide rate is 31% of our group. Over 50% of Transsexuals will have had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday. Even more self harm themselves daily either by cutting or self mutilation.
(http://www.lauras-playground.com/transsexual_transgender_suicide_memorial.htm)

36.5 % of GLB youth grades 9-12 have attempted suicide. 20.5% of those attempts resulting in medical care
•Gay and lesbian youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide than heterosexual young people.
•As many as 1 in 3 gay and lesbian youth have attempted suicide.
•In a 1998 health survey conducted by Youth Pride, Inc. aimed at LGBTQQ youth, 58% of respondents reported that they had felt suicidal as teenagers.
33.2% of transgender youth have attempted suicide.
•In a survey of 403 transgender people, 78% reported having been verbally harassed and 48% reported having been victims of assault, including assault with a weapon, sexual assault or rape.
(http://www.youthprideri.org/Resources/Statistics/tabid/227/Default.aspx)


After my mum found out about the statistics, she asked me if I ever thought about suicide.
I found that question hilarious.

My dad told me I had a "low tolerance for pain."
He doesn't know I was a self harmer.

My parents are really amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment