Monday, 12 July 2010


I was writing this to show my family.

As I am going to go to the UK and you mentioned about opening my own bank account when I become 18, I feel that it is time I bring up my transition.
I will write this so that I can say what I want to say without being interrupted and forgetting to say something.

I will make this short and simple.

I need to change my name from A*** to Shane.

This is because:
a) I will feel so much comfortable being called by a unisex name that will not scream out that I am a girl.
b) it is essential when I try to start the hormone treatment.

@I would like to point out that this is not something I just thought up and will change my mind in a week. I've disliked my current name in public for a long time. As far as I can remember, I felt uncomfortable since I was less than 10 years old.
@I feel sorry that I need to change the name you lovingly chose but I simply cannot live my life trying to hide my name. I even don't write my full name on the sheets of paper at school unless it is really necessary.
@You may think it will not matter if I was called A*** when in England for nobody will know it is a girl's name. That isn't the point. It's about how I feel, not about what others think.
@I chose the name Shane because:
It sounds very nice and I feel very comfortable with it.
It's a unisex name.
It's the name of a character from a certain drama (which I will not identify for now) who is a very considerate, kind, and loving person which is the kind of person I want to be.

How to change the name.
In order to change my name legally, I need to submit a form to a family court and provide evidence that I have been using the new name for a considerable period of time and a convincing reason why I should change my name. From what I have read, it is not a very hard process. The only problem is that I don't have evidence that I've been using the new name because I've only been using it on the Internet. There's only evidence that I HAVEN'T been using my current name for a long time.
The nearest family court is in Mito.


I came to this point to realize that I got it the process the wrong way round.
The name change doesn't come first.
Actually using the name is the important thing.
I also got scared by the thought that something that I have been living with for all my life could disappear just like that.
Another thing is that it would be weird if I was called by an English name here in Japan. I came to the conclusion that I just want to start be called Shane when I start my new life in England. Changing my name in Japan wouldn't make much sense.

So I decided that instead of the How To part above, I would just put the link to this
and say I want to change it in the UK.
I will sent it by e-mail to mum and dad now. Geez. Why do we have to go through this... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment